Mr. Bustillos Email: Paris_Bustillos@mcpsmd.org Room 4
WEB CLASS DOCUMENTS:
SEMESTER 1: http://darkroomtodigital.blogspot.com
SEMESTER 2: bustillosphotography.blogspot.com
Office Phone 301 649-2829
COURSE DESCRIPTION: #6345A / 6346B
This course will introduce students to various aspects of photography including language/vocabulary, production, technical
operations, basic principles of B/W analog photography, digital and computer programs, history, criticism, aesthetics, and
composition. The goal of this course is to give the students a better understanding of photographic techniques, styles and
transitions from the Analog photography (B/W darkroom) to the Digital photography format.
The following expectations/procedures have been established to make this studio space an organized, safe, and workable
place for all of us to use. Together with everyone’s commitment to follow these procedures, there are no limits to the
amazing things we can create here.
GRADING POLICY: -This is an estimate of how your grade will be determined:
Grades will be awarded point based following the MCPS grading policy.
Grades will be based on projects, quizzes , and classwork/homework
“In compliance with the MCPS policy on reteaching and relearning, students may have the opportunity to resubmit a minor project one time after private consultation with the teacher and reteaching/relearning the skills necessary to successfully obtain the objective of the assigned project. This does NOT apply to the final project for each quarter."
- Work submitted on the due date can be reassessed one time. The most recent grade will be kept.
- Work that is submitted late (after the due date, but before the deadline date) will be worth 10% less and cannot be submitted to be reassessed.
- Work submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. You will receive a zero.
- Final projects and exams may not be re-taught or reassessed.
- The last assignment of the quarter cannot be re-taught or reassessed.
- In order to receive a minimum grade of 50%, students must turn in the assignment by the deadline date. (See MCPS grading policy)
- QUIZZES MUST BE MADE UP WITHIN THE 3 FOLLOWING TIMES OUR CLASS MEETS. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN A ZERO ON THE QUIZ.
EXPECTATIONS AND RESPECT:
- Come to class on time. Follow MBHS policy on tardies and absences.
- Clean-up and take care of your own materials (aprons are optional, some are available) Keep workspace clean
- Come prepared – with your ID, plan book, art binder, pencil & materials, and a good attitude
- No food, no drink (except water), no candy, no gum, no hats.
- Absolutely no cell phones or other electronic devices in darkroom or in class……….
- Cell phones can be used for taking digital pictures under special circumstances and with a photo pass.
- RESPECT yourself, the materials & tools, your teacher, and the artwork
- Use of appropriate language, no profanity, negative comments, personal attacks.
- Offer constructive criticism, advice, and opinions
- Listen when others are speaking during critiques and class discussions
- You are required to spend the class period working on photography related materials EVERYDAY. Options include viewing photo books and magazines, completing worksheets, independent photo assignments, photo journal.
- Remember you are a student at MBHS and will be expected to comply with all school policies as described in your MBHS planbook.
- Students will be responsible for the cost of any equipment that is broken under their care/use.
- Replacement or repair costs will vary.
- Students will be responsible for the cost of any equipment not returned when signed out.
MATERIALS: A 3-ring binder is needed for this course to keep all photos and journal assignments. Student will also need a shoe box by the middle of September (for pinhole cameras).
- You will be expected to work on your journal during class time.
- You will be expected to have your negatives every day.
- Binder/journal will be kept in class.
COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR TEACHER:
- Emails will be responded to within a timely manner. Paris_Bustillos@mcpsmd.org
- The photo lab will be open for lunch during ______________________________________by appointment only.
- Students must eat lunch down in the SAC prior to coming down to work in the photo lab (there is no food permitted down in the art wing.
- Students need to have a pass from teacher ahead of time to be permitted to work during lunch.
There is a lab fee requirement of $15. This required course fee will cover the
components of all take home projects. You may pay in cash or check payable
to MBHS and submit to the teacher by:______second week_________ .
I have read the classroom rules and school policy. I agree to abide by them. Please return to teacher with required fee. Date__________________
Student Printed Name___________________________________ Phone _______________________
Student Signature______________________________________ email _________________________
Parent Signature _______________________________________ email __________________________
Daytime Phone ________________________________________(cell) ______________________________